Press release from the City of Fort Wayne:
New Start Location for Sept. 7, 2010 Bike Ride
(August 31, 2010) – The “Trek the Trails” bike ride schedule for September 7, 2010 at 6:00 PM, has a new meeting location. Riders should gather near the dam in Johnny Appleseed Park near Coliseum Boulevard.
The popular bike rides were to have ended on August 24, 2010 – but the rides have become so popular that 5 additional rides were added to the schedule. Nearly 900 riders have participated so far.
Trek the Trails was a new tradition of community bike rides offered each Tuesday since June 1, 2010. The rides took place along the Rivergreenway, the Wabash & Erie Canal Towpath Trail, the Aboite Trails, the Pufferbelly Rail-to-Trail and the Salomon Farm Trail.
The trail rides are free and each one is about 6-8 miles long. Helmets are a requirement for participants. If there is unsafe weather such as lightening, the ride will be cancelled.
Here is a list of the remaining trail rides. They all begin at 6:00 PM.
- August 31, 2010 Wabash & Erie Canal Towpath – meet at Rockhill Park at trailhead parking lot off Catalpa Street. Ride is 8 miles.
- September 7, 2010 Rivergreenway from St. Joe Pathway to Downtown – meet at Johnny Appleseed Park, near Coliseum Boulevard, by the dam. Ride is 7 miles. (New meeting location)
- September 14, 2010 Swinney Park to Foster Park – meet at Swinney Park Trailhead parking lot by swimming pool. Ride is 8.5 miles.
- September 21, 2010 Rivergreenway along the Maumee Pathway from North River Road to Moser Park – meet at North River Rd Trailhead just west of Kreager Park otherwise known as the “boat launch” – Ride is 6 miles.
- September 28, 2010 Aboite Trails – meet at Deer Ridge Elementary School by trail. Ride is 6-8 miles.
Riders may call 427-6002 for more information.