Press release from City Utilities:
Pedaling Traditions – Popular Bike Rides to go thru Fall
Nearly 800 Trek the Trails
5 Additional Free Rides Added
(August 24, 2010) – At the urging of residents five additional bike rides have been added to the “Trek the Trails” summer bike ride schedule.
“Trek the Trails, offered a great free activity for residents of all ages and it offered a unique way to see Fort Wayne – along one of the finest trail systems in the Midwest. Residents asked for more and we’re happy to give them more,” said Mayor Tom Henry.
Trek the Trails was a new tradition of community bike rides offered each Tuesday since June 1, 2010. The rides took place along the Rivergreenway, the Wabash & Erie Canal Towpath Trail, the Aboite Trails, the Pufferbelly Rail-to-Trail and the Salomon Farm Trail for 13 weeks. They grew in popularity and three had more than 100 riders attend.
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 was the last scheduled bike ride but now, bicyclists have five more opportunities to ride the trails.
The trail rides are free and each one is about 6-8 miles long. Helmets are a requirement for participants. If there is unsafe weather such as lightening, the ride will be cancelled.
Here is a list of the remaining trail rides. They all begin at 6:00pm.
- August 24, 2010 Salomon Farm Loop and Pufferbelly Trail – meet at Salomon Farm parking lot, 817 W. Dupont Rd, by the trailhead kiosk sign. Ride is 6 miles.
- August 31, 2010 Wabash & Erie Canal Towpath – meet at Rockhill Park at trailhead parking lot off Catalpa Street. Ride is 8 miles.
- September 7, 2010 Rivergreenway from St. Joe Pathway to Downtown – meet at IPFW, on the east side of pedestrian bridge over St. Joe River. Ride is 7 miles.
- September 14, 2010 Swinney Park to Foster Park – meet at Swinney Park Trailhead parking lot by swimming pool. Ride is 8.5 miles.
- September 21, 2010 Rivergreenway along the Maumee Pathway from North River Road to Moser Park – meet at North River Rd Trailhead justÂ west of Kreager Park otherwise known as the “boat launch” – Ride is 6 miles.
- September 28, 2010 Aboite Trails – meet at Deer Ridge Elementary School by trail. Ride is 6-8 miles.