Press release from Fort Wayne Community Schools:
Students return to FWCS on Monday
(August 19, 2010) – With students returning to school on Monday, Aug. 23, Fort Wayne Community Schools officialsÂ remind the community to prepare and take extra caution as students and parents return to theÂ streets.
More than 300 yellow buses will be on the roads and thousands of students will be walking to busÂ stops or to their neighborhood schools. Drivers should consider leaving a few minutes early whenÂ heading to work or school.
“Everyone is excited about the first day of school, from students to parents to staffÂ members in each of our buildings,” Superintendent Dr. Wendy Robinson said. “With so muchÂ excitement and so many more buses and cars on the roads, we all need to take extra precautions whenÂ traveling next week.”
FWCS transportation officials ask motorists to be observant and patient and to remember thatÂ when the stop arm of the bus is out, it means all lanes of traffic must come to a complete stop.
Vehicles should not begin moving again until the stop arm is back in place and the bus has startedÂ to roll.
The busiest times for buses on the road will be before and after school. School hours, whichÂ have changed for the 2010-11 school year, are:
Elementary schools – 8:55 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- (Bunche – 8:10 a.m. to 2:20 p.m.)
- (Weisser Park – 7:45 a.m.-3:30 p.m.)
Middle schools – 7:30 a.m. to 2:25 p.m.
- (Memorial Park – 7:25 a.m. to 2:40 p.m.)
- (Towles Intermediate – 8 a.m. to 2:35 p.m.)
High schools – 7:30 a.m. to 2:35 p.m.
- (Anthis Career Center – 7:45 a.m.- 3 p.m.)
Last year more than 25,000 students, or nearly 80 percent of the district’s enrollment, were transported to and from school by bus. During the 2009-10 school year, FWCS buses logged nearly 3.6 million miles.
Transportation officials ask parents to help ensure a safe ride for everyone by discussing the following safety procedures with their children:
When riding the busâ€¦
- Observe the same conduct as in the classroom.
- Be courteous.
- Cooperate with the driver.
- Stay in your seat.
- Do not be destructive.
- Keep head, hands and feet inside the bus.
- Do not yell or scream on board the bus or use profane language.
- Inform the bus driver or school official if a problem occurs.
While waiting at the bus stopâ€¦
- Do not horseplay or act in a way that could cause harm to others.
- Do not play in the street.
- Do not throw things.
- Arrive at the bus stop no more than five minutes prior to scheduled bus arrival.
- When the bus arrives, line up in an orderly fashion, away from the curb, and do not push orÂ cut in line.
- Stay back from the bus until it stops and the driver signals it’s OK to get on.
Staying safe when crossing the street…
- Always obey all traffic rules. Never cross against the light.
- Look left, right and left again before crossing.
- Cross in a crosswalk. If there is no crosswalk, cross at the corner.
- If the crosswalk has a Walk/Don’t Walk sign, only cross when the sign says Walk.