Press release from the City of Fort Wayne:
Bike Trek the Trails
Tuesday Bike Rides Path to New Community Tradition
Free Recreation to Connect Community
(May 28, 2010) – In what’s sure to become a popular community event Fort Wayne will bring the community together in a series of 13 bike rides on the trail network. The rides will be guided by someone knowledgeable about the area and the history of the area.
“Fort Wayne has one of the finest trail systems in the Midwest with over 50 miles of trails winding through urban and rural areas around the City. This summer residents will have a unique opportunity to meet other trail users, see some new trails and get some exercise”, said Mayor Tom Henry.
Beginning Tuesday June 1 at 6:00pm, cyclists will have an opportunity to join other trail users on a community bike ride every Tuesday of the summer. The 13 bike rides will take bicyclists through all parts of the community – along the Rivergreenway, the Wabash & Erie Canal Towpath Trail, the Aboite Trails, the Pufferbelly Rail-to-Trail and the Salomon Farm Trail.
It’s a great opportunity to see Fort Wayne in a way you haven’t seen it before. Bike rides are a great family activity, a great way to spend time with friends and a fun way to socialize with new friends.
Each trail ride is about 6-8 miles long. Helmets are a requirement for participants. If there is unsafe weather such as lightening, the ride will be cancelled.
Here is a list of the trail rides. All rides begin at 6:00pm.
- June 1, 2010 Towpath Trail – meet at Rockhill Park at trailhead parking lot off Catalpa Street. Ride is 8 miles. Â already passed
- June 8, 2010 Rivergreenway along the Maumee Pathway from North River Road to Moser Park – meet at North River Rd Trailhead meet just west of Kreager Park otherwise known as the “boat launch” – Ride is 6 miles.
- June 15, 2010 Aboite Trails – meet at the back of the Indian Trails Park at trailhead – Ride is 6 – 8 miles.
- June 22, 2010 Rivergreenway from Lawton Park to Rockhill Park – meet at Lawton Park, off Fourth Street by beginning of boardwalk. Ride is 7 miles.
- June 29, 2010 Towpath Trail – meet at Rockhill Park at trailhead parking lot off Catalpa Street. Ride is 8 miles.
- July 6, 2010 Rivergreenway along the Maumee Pathway from North River Road to Moser Park – meet at North River Road Trailhead, just west of Kreager Park; otherwise known as “boat launch”. Ride is 6 miles.
- July 13, 2010 Rivergreenway St Joe Pathway – meet at IPFW, on the east side of pedestrian bridge over the St Joe River. Ride is 7 miles.
- July 20, 2010 Towpath Trail – meet at Rockhill Park at trailhead parking lot off Catalpa Street. Ride is 8 miles.
- July 27, 2010 Rivergreenway from St Joe Pathway to Downtown – meet at IPFW, on the east side of pedestrian bridge over St Joe River. Ride is 7 miles.
- August 3, 2010 Rivergreenway from Foster Park to the Public Safety Academy – meet at Foster Park Trailhead parking lot by Pavilion No. 1 & Volleyball Courts. Ride is 8.5 miles.
- August 10, 2010 Rivergreenway – Swinney Park to Foster Park – meet at Swinney Park Trailhead parking lot by swimming pool. Ride is 8.5 miles.
- August 17, 2010 Aboite Trails – meet at Deer Ridge Elementary School by trail. Ride is 6-8 miles.
- August 24, 2010 Salomon Farm Loop and Pufferbelly Trail – meet at Salomon Farm parking lot, 817 W Dupont Rd, by the trailhead kiosk sign. Ride is 6 miles.