Press release from INDOT:
INDOT Urges Drivers to Exercise Caution During Memorial Day Weekend
Most road construction halted to facilitate movement of heavy holiday traffic
(LAPORTE – May 26, 2010) – Memorial Day weekend marks the start of the summer season and a busy travel time for motorists. The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) reminds holiday travelers to be aware and plan ahead for heavy traffic on the state’s highways and interstates.
Beginning Friday, May 28 at noon, most maintenance activities and construction projects halt work until sunrise Tuesday, June 1 to increase roadway capacity and safety.
To assist with travel planning, the following traffic patterns/restrictions will remain in place for the Memorial Day weekend:
I-80/94 (Borman Expressway)
- Traffic is restricted to three lanes in each direction as crews widen and reconstruct westbound lanes between State Road 53 (Broadway) and Central Avenue.
- Central Ave. onramp to the westbound Borman is closed through November.
- Work zone speed limit is 45 MPH.
- Northbound I-65 ramp to westbound I-80/94 restricted to one lane.
S.R. 912 (Cline Avenue)
- Ramp shoulders restricted on southbound Cline Ave to eastbound I-80/94 and northbound Cline Ave. to westbound I-80/94.
- U.S. 35 closed to traffic at the intersection of Schultz Road. The roadway is closed approximately 500 feet north and south of the Schultz Rd. intersection through June 1. Local traffic can access U.S. 35 on either side of the closure.
- Detour: Northbound traffic will be directed to take State Road 39 (S.R. 39) north to U.S. 20 west back to S.R. 35. Southbound traffic will be directed to take U.S. 20 east to S.R. 39 south back to U.S. 35.
- S.R. 8 closed at S.R. for 49 for intersection improvement project through June 30. The closure is approximately one mile west of the intersection and local traffic will have access to their property on either side of the closure.
- Detour: Westbound S.R. 8 traffic will be directed to take S.R. 49 north to U.S. 30 west to S.R. 2 west to S.R. 8. Eastbound S.R. 8 traffic will be directed to take S.R. 2 east to U.S. 30 east to S.R. 49 south back to S.R. 8.
INDOT also reminds motorists to use caution and consider worker safety when driving through a construction zone. For the latest news and information about INDOT, please visit www.in.gov/indot or https://www.trafficwise.in.gov/.