Press release from Parkview Hospital:
Parkview receives national accreditations in heart care
The Society of Chest Pain Centers has granted Parkview Hospital new national accreditations in two areas.
The Parkview Hospital Congestive Heart Treatment Unit is now an Accredited Acute Heart Failure Center, Cycle 1. The accreditation is new for Parkview and a new designation by the Society of Chest Pain Centers. Parkview is the only hospital in northeast Indiana with the designation.
The goal of the Society of Chest Pain Centers is to help facilities manage heart failure patients more efficiently and improve patient outcomes. Parkview Hospital demonstrated its expertise and commitment to quality patient care by meeting or exceeding a wide set of stringent criteria and completing on-site evaluations by a review team from the Society of Chest Pain Centers. Parkview Hospital’s protocol driven and systematic approach to patient management allows physicians to reduce time to treatment, and to risk stratify patients to decrease their length of stay.
Key areas in which a facility with Heart Failure Accreditation must demonstrate expertise include:
- Emergency department integration with emergency medical services
- Emergency assessment of patients with symptoms of acute decompensated heart failure-diagnosis
- Risk stratification of the heart failure patient
- Treatment for patients presenting to the emergency department in heart failure
- Heart failure discharge criteria from the emergency department, observation stay or inpatient stay
- Heart failure patient education in the emergency department, observation and inpatient unit
- Personnel, competencies and training
- Process improvement
- Organizational structure and commitment
- Heart failure community outreach
In addition, Parkview Hospital is now an Accredited Chest Pain Center, Cycle III with percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI). The Cycle III designation means Parkview treats patients with greater need and provides a greater and more collaborative level of service, encompassing EMS and other community resources. The PCI designation acknowledges Parkview’s expertise in heart stent/angioplasty procedures. Parkview earned Chest Pain Center, Cycle II accreditation in 2008.
Parkview is the only hospital in the region with both accreditations.