no images were found
The Annual Cherry Blossom Festival takes place this Sunday, April 18, 2010:
4th Annual Fort Wayne Japanese Cherry Blossom Festival
When: Sunday, April 18, 2010, 12 noon to 5:00 p.m.
Where: Fort Wayne Museum of Art, Arts United Center & Plaza and Freimann Square
Free for the public with donations gratefully accepted.
Opening Ceremony Sunday, April 18, 2010
12:00 p.m. Opening Ceremony
- Fort Wayne Taiko
- Fort Wayne Children’s ChoirÂ singing the Star Spangled Banner and the Japanese National Anthem, andÂ Sakura, Cherry Blossom (in Japanese)
- Mayor Tom Henry with the Official Welcome with the Proclamation fromÂ the City of Fort Wayne
Featured Artists and Events throughout the Festival
- TAIKOPROJECT, Japanese Taiko Ensemble from Los Angeles, CA
- Fort Wayne Taiko, from the Fort Wayne Dance Collective
- Okinawa Yuyukai Taiko, from Indianapolis
- Garret Uyeno, Koto, musician from Indianapolis
- Minyo Japanese Folk Dancers, from Indianapolis
- Fort Wayne Children’s Choir, Treble and Lyric, conducted by Phyllis Boester
- Mrs. Shie Otani, Japanese Tea Ceremony
- Sayaka Ganz, Sculpture Artist of recycled materials display and hands-on booth
- Chikuen Kato, Sumie Artist display
- Martial Arts, several groups demonstrating
- Hiroshi Kaneko, Japanese Toymaker from Chicago
- Dorothy Kittaka, Japanese Storyteller, Kamishibai Storycard Theater
- Mike Schmid, Origami demonstration and hands-on origami for all
- Laura Semba, Haiku Lecture on Matsuo Basho’s Oku no Hosomichi and Haiku Reading by students
TAIKOPROJECT will perform their full program prior to the Japanese Cherry Blossom Festival at the Arts United Center on Saturday, April 17th at 8:00 p.m. Purchase tickets through Dance Collective for the Saturday performance.
- Anime! Draw a famous anime character or your own original character for prizes.
- Can You Haiku? Students will submit work prior to festival and public may compose haiku at the festival for prizes.
- CosPlay! Students may wear costumes depicting favorite anime character for prizes.
Taste of Japan
- Toyko Seoul Restaurant, purchase authentic Japanese cuisine.
- Woo’s Oriental Grocery & Mart, buy Japanese candies, drinks, ice cream, crackers etc.
- Sampling of Japanese Beer – ASAHI BEER, Five Star Distributing
Hands-on Japanese Activities
- Bonsai Display and Demonstration and sales by Fort Wayne Bonsai Club
- Origami Demonstration and Hands-on session, Mike Schmid, Art Specialist
- Japanese Kites and Toys handmade by Hiroshi Kaneko from Chicago
- Videos of Japanese Culture – continuous
- Japanese Children’s Games and Crafts, origami Samurai Hat making and Japanese Fan making and other Japanese hands-on activities
Japan in Fort Wayne website