Press release from Fort Wayne Community Schools:
FWCS students, staff support Haiti relief efforts
Fort Wayne Community Schools students and staff are raising money and planning special events to
support the relief efforts in Haiti. Already, thousands of dollars have been raised for the Red
Cross and other organizations. District-wide staff are encouraged to contribute to the FWCS
collection for the Red Cross, and several schools have planned their own fund-raisers.
The following are some of the events taking place in FWCS buildings:
- Study Elementary is having a penny/coin drive to help the people of Haiti throughout the week ofÂ Jan. 26.
- Arlington Elementary is collecting donations, and its Student Council is selling bracelets toÂ show their support for Haiti relief efforts throughout the week of Jan. 26.
- Northrop High School, Shawnee Middle School and Harris Elementary School will have a “HatsÂ on for Haiti Day” on Friday, Jan. 29. Students donate $1 to wear a hat.
- Snider High School is helping to build homes in Haiti by donating to JIH, a non-profitÂ organization that runs outreach programs in Haiti. JIH will supply pictures of the houses andÂ families as they are built. One of the classes will become “pen pals” with the families. AsÂ of Jan. 26, more than $1,800 had been raised, enough to build nearly four houses. On Friday, Jan.Â 29, students donating $1 will be allowed to wear a hat.
- On Wednesday, Feb. 3, Forest Park students may wear crazy socks and on Friday, Feb. 5, they mayÂ wear their favorite team jersey or shirt, if they donate 50 cents each day. Staff at Forest Park mayÂ wear jeans during the week of Jan. 26 for $5.
- On Thursday, Feb. 4, Harrison Hill staff and students may wear jeans instead of the usual dressÂ code, if they donate to support Haiti. Students are asked to donate $1 and staff, $5.
- Bunche Early Childhood Center is joining with the Montessori La Maison des Entantis of Miami, Fla., and its sister school in Haiti to collect non-perishable food items, clothing and money toÂ support victims in Haiti.
- The Waynedale Student Council is collecting money from students for the American Red Cross.
- Anthis Career Center is collecting funds during student breaks from students and staff. ThisÂ school alone has collected more than $1,300.
- Price Elementary and many other schools are collecting monetary donations from the staff andÂ students.