Fort Wayne Community Schools press release:
FWCS schools celebrate Halloween, fall harvest
Students throughout Fort Wayne Community Schools will participate in various activities this week to celebrate Halloween and fall activities. Students will learn about harvest time while having fun, often with their families included in the good times.
Events this week include:
- Brentwood Elementary students and their siblings (through fifth grade) can enjoy safeÂ trick-or-treating with the Brentwood staff beginning at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 27. Students and theirÂ families will go from classroom to classroom trick-or-treating for yummy treats. Brentwood isÂ located at 3710 Stafford Dr.
- All week, students in one language arts class at Elmhurst High School, 3829 Sand Point Road, willÂ be studying Edgar Allen Poe, including reading “The Raven.” Next week, students will pick aÂ Poe story that was not discussed this week and find a way to retell the story. The stories could beÂ retold through a cartoon, PowerPoint, skit or any other method the student finds appropriate. TheÂ lessons cover Language Arts Standard 3 – Comprehension and Analysis of Literary Text and LiteraryÂ Criticism; Standard 4 – Writing; and Standard 7 – Listening and Speaking.
- At North Side High School, 475 E. State Blvd., students will host the annual Halloween CarnivalÂ for children in kindergarten through third grades from 5-7 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 28. Children shouldÂ bring a canned food item and a bag to collect treats and should wear costumes.
- Harris Elementary School, 4501 Thorngate Dr., will have a costume parade beginning at 1:30 p.m.Â Friday, Oct. 30, followed by classroom fall parties at 2 p.m.
- At Indian Village Elementary, 3835 Wenonah Lane, kindergarten students and their parents willÂ celebrate fall with costume parades and pumpkin carving during the afternoon on Friday, Oct. 30. Â Other students will be involved in Triple A Club activities, if they or their class met set criteriaÂ for Attendance, Attitude and Achievement for the first nine weeks of school. Students achievingÂ Triple A will get to make scary animal cookies and listen to spooky stories.
- Nebraska Elementary will offer a fun family event with its Fall Harvest Carnival from 5:30-7:30Â p.m. Friday, Oct. 30. The school is located at 1525 Boone St.
- Miami Middle School and CanLan Ice Sports will have a Halloween Skate & Trick-or-Treat CanÂ Food Drive from 1-4 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 31, at the McMillen Ice Arena, 3901 Abbott St. Admission isÂ free for those bringing a non-perishable food item. The afternoon includes treat stations, games,Â prizes and more. The food donations will be used for Miami’s Thanksgiving and holiday dinnerÂ baskets, which are given to needy families during the holiday season.