Press release from the American Red Cross:
Corrections Facilities Help Save Lives through Blood Donation
Indiana Department of Corrections hosts statewide blood drive
Corrections facilities across the state of Indiana teamed up to see how many blood donations they could collect. Known as the Indiana Department of Corrections (IDOC) statewide blood drive, the blood donor partnership with the American Red Cross took place at 11 of the IDOC’s facilities from July 13 through Sept. 30.
During the statewide blood drive 415 pints of blood were collected at Red Cross blood drives. Since each blood donation has the potential to help save up to three lives, nearly 1,245 lives could be impacted by the donations from this partnership. The Indiana-Ohio Blood Services Region of the American Red Cross is responsible for collecting nearly 137,000 units of blood each year. To do that, 500 volunteer donations of blood are needed each and every day in our community.
Corrections professionals have a strong sense of duty, honor, and patriotism and are often looking for additional ways to help their community. This statewide blood drive provided an opportunity for corrections professionals to make a positive impact on their community and the blood supply.
“I wanted to be a part of something that would unite the Corrections Facilities together as a team,” said Edwin G. Buss, Commissioner for the Indiana Department of Corrections. “Donating blood doesn’t cost a dime, and it is something that Hoosiers could do that is more valuable than anything else we could provide. This project is helping to save lives!”
This American Red Cross and the IDOC statewide blood drive involved the following corrections facilities:
- Correctional Industrial Facility in Pendleton
- Indiana Department of Corrections & North East Juvenile Correctional Facility in Fort Wayne
- Indianapolis Juvenile Correctional Facility
- Indiana State Prison in Michigan City
- Logansport Juvenile Correctional Facility
- Miami Correctional Facility in Bunker Hill
- New Castle Correctional Facility
- Pendleton Correctional Facility
- Pendleton Juvenile Correctional Facility
- Putnamville Correctional Facility in Greencastle
- Westville Correctional Facility