Fort Wayne Community Schools press release:
With students returning to school on Monday, Aug. 24, Fort Wayne Community Schools officialsÂ remind the community to prepare and take extra caution as students and parents return to theÂ streets.
More than 300 yellow buses will be on the roads and thousands of students will be walking to busÂ stops or to their neighborhood schools. Drivers should consider leaving a few minutes early whenÂ heading to work or school.
“The first day of school is exciting for students, parents and others in the city. It isÂ important that we all take special consideration of our surroundings and watch for students as theyÂ head back to school,” Superintendent Dr. Wendy Robinson said.
FWCS transportation officials ask motorists to be observant and patient Monday and to rememberÂ that when the stop arm of the bus is out, it means all lanes of traffic must come to a completeÂ stop. Vehicles should not begin moving again until the stop arm is back in place and the bus hasÂ started to roll.
The busiest times for buses on the road will be before and after school. School hours are:
Elementary schools – 8:50 a.m. to 3:20 p.m.
- (Bunche – 8:10 a.m. to 2:20 p.m.)
- (Weisser Park – 7:45 a.m.-3:20 p.m.)
Middle schools – 7:55 a.m. to 2:35 p.m.
- (Memorial Park – 7:40 a.m. to 2:35 p.m.)
- (Towles Intermediate – 8 a.m. to 2:35 p.m.)
High schools – 8 a.m. to 2:35 p.m. Last year more than 25,000 students, or nearly 80 percent of the district’s enrollment,Â were transported to and from school by bus. During the 2008-09 school year, FWCS buses logged nearlyÂ 3.6 million miles.
Transportation officials ask parents to help ensure a safe ride for everyone by discussingÂ the following safety procedures with their children:
When riding the busâ€¦
- Observe the same conduct as in the classroom.
- Be courteous.
- Cooperate with the driver.
- Stay in your seat.
- Do not be destructive.
- Keep head, hands and feet inside the bus.
- Do not yell or scream on board the bus or use profane language.
- Inform the bus driver or school official if a problem occurs.
While waiting at the bus stopâ€¦
- Do not horseplay or act in a way that could cause harm to others.
- Do not play in the street.
- Do not throw things.
- Arrive at the bus stop no more than five minutes prior to scheduled bus arrival.
- When the bus arrives, line up in an orderly fashion, away from the curb, and do not push orÂ cut in line.
- Stay back from the bus until it stops and the driver signals it’s OK to get on.
Staying safe when crossing the street…
- Always obey all traffic rules. Never cross against the light.
- Look left, right and left again before crossing.
- Cross in a crosswalk. If there is no crosswalk, cross at the corner.
- If the crosswalk has a Walk/Don’t Walk sign, only cross when the sign says Walk.