Press Release from St. Joseph Hospital:
(Thurs., Dec. 18, 2008) – Demolition will begin on Mon., Dec. 22, of a vacant, antiquated building on St. Joseph Hospital’s campus. The 1952 building will be razed over the next four to six weeks. Barricades may be in place as early as today, limiting or closing Van Buren St. and two lanes of Main St.
In an effort to enhance aesthetics of the downtown location, a green space will replace the building. Deconstruction began on the building’s interior in early December.
Originally constructed as a convent for nuns of the Poor Handmaids order, the four-story annex was eventually converted into office space for hospital employees and has been unused for approximately ten years. A picnic area for associates and guests has been proposed though plans have not been finalized.Â