Read the latest updates on the upconimg winter storm.
Today’s weather story from the National Weather Service:
Weekend weather storm
- Snow starts tonight through Saturday
- 4-7″ possible arewa wide with highest amounts north of I-80
- 30 to 35 mph wind gusts on Saturday
- Blowing and drifting snow expected Saturday
(January 19, 2019) – We continue to refine the forecast for the approaching winter storm expected to sweep across the Midwest starting tonight. Differences in system evolution has resulted in adjustments to the forecast snowfall. We continue to expect 4 to 7 inches of snow across the area, but the location of the highest amounts has shifted from south and east of US 24 to north of I-80. Drifting and blowing snow is still expected to result in hazardous driving conditions throughout the day on Saturday with windy northeast wind gusts of 30 to 35 mph. This may make it more difficult for plow crews to keep roadways cleared; especially on east-west roadways.
Please continue to monitor for forecast updates.
- 8:00pm – Snow starts falling from west to east
- Midnight – Moderate to heavy snow in northwest Indiana
- 8:00am – Moderate to heavy snow area wide
- 8:00pm – Snow ending across northwest Indiana
- Midnight – Snow tapers off across entire area
Winter Storm to impact the area starting tonight into Saturday. Winter Storm Watch in effect for 4-7″ across the area with higher amounts north of I-80.
URGENT – WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Northern Indiana
349 AM EST Fri Jan 18 2019
Noble-De Kalb-Pulaski-Fulton IN-Kosciusko-Whitley-Allen IN-White-Cass IN-Miami-Wabash-Huntington-Wells-Adams-Grant-Blackford-Jay- Williams-Fulton OH-Defiance-Henry-Paulding-Putnam-Van Wert-
Including the cities of Kendallville, Ligonier, Albion, Auburn, Garrett, Winamac, Francesville, Medaryville, Rochester, Akron, Warsaw, Winona Lake, Syracuse, Mentone, Columbia City, Tri-Lakes, South Whitley, Fort Wayne, New Haven, Monticello, Monon, Brookston, Logansport, Royal Center, Peru, Grissom AFB, Mexico, Wabash, North Manchester, Huntington, Roanoke, Bluffton, Ossian, Decatur, Berne, Marion, Gas City, Upland, Hartford City, Montpelier, Portland, Dunkirk, Bryan, Edgerton, Wauseon, Archbold, Swanton, Delta, Defiance, Sherwood, Hicksville,
Napoleon, Deshler, Liberty Center, Paulding, Antwerp, Payne, Ottawa, Leipsic, Columbus Grove, Continental, Pandora, Van Wert, Ohio City, Lima, and Spencerville
349 AM EST Fri Jan 18 2019 /249 AM CST Fri Jan 18 2019/
…WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH LATE SATURDAY NIGHT…
- WHAT…Heavy snow possible along with gusty winds and significant blowing and drifting snow. Total snow accumulations of 4 to 7 inches expected, with locally higher amounts possible.
- WHERE…Portions of northern Indiana and northwest Ohio.
- WHEN…From late tonight through late Saturday night.
- ADDITIONAL DETAILS…Snow will overspread the area late tonight and continue through Saturday evening. Moderate to heavy snow combined with gusty northeast winds to 25 to 35 mph Saturday and Saturday evening will create hazardous travel conditions.
A Winter Storm Watch means there is potential for significant snow accumulations that may impact travel. Continue to monitor the latest forecasts.