Today’s weather story from the National Weather Service:
Hot and humid through Friday
Today through Friday night
- Heat index 95 to 100 this afternoon and Friday afternoon. Stay hydrated and cool!
- Thunderstorm chances increase Friday and Friday night. Locally heavy rain possible.
- Scattered to numerous storms linger into Saturday afternoon. Locally heavy rain possible for southern locations.
- Temps cool back to near normal.
- Chance of rain lingers Sunday south of US-24.
(August 11, 2016) – Hot and humid conditions will continue across the area today and Friday. The combination of highs around 90 and increasing humidity levels will result in peak afternoon heat indices both this afternoon and Friday afternoon into the 95 to 100 degree range.
There is a chance of showers and thunderstorms today especially across the southeast half of the forecast area, and a slight chance of thunderstorms tonight.
Showers and thunderstorms will become likely for Friday and Friday night. An isolated strong storm is possible Friday afternoon and Friday night, with locally heavy rainfall also a possibility.
Scattered to numerous showers and thunderstorms will linger into Saturday, with a continued potential of locally heavy rainfall across the southern half of the forecast area.
The chance of rain will persist into Sunday for areas south of Route 24. Otherwise, temperatures will cool back to near seasonable normals for the weekend.